As part of the information gathering process for the Portage County Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan, Toole Design Group has developed an interactive map that allows users to map bicycle rides and make note of problems they encounter. The map is built on Google Maps Bicycle Map and should be familiar to anyone who has used Google maps before.
The map allows users to map the following types of routes:
- Commute (to school or work)
- Route that needs improvement
Users can include comments about each route they create. Comments about specific problems or advantages or each route will be particularly helpful.
Users can also map the following point data:
- Difficult intersections/crossings
- Bike destinations
- Trail/path connections
As with the routes, comments can be added to each point.
Brief mapping instructions are provided below.
To view a video with tips for using the map:
- About > Instructions
To view a legend of the symbols on the map:
- About > Legend
To turn off other users routes and points:
- About > View Options > “Turn off and on other people’s responses here”
To create a new route:
- Click Routes in the menu bar
- Select the type of route you would like to create
- Click once to begin your route, and to create turns or curves in the route
- Double click to complete the route
- A dialogue box will appear to add comments about the route
To create a new point:
- Click Points in the menu bar
- Select the type of point you would like to create
- Click once where you would like to create the point
- A dialogue box will appear to add comments about the point