In fall of 2010, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation awarded a $141,000 grant from the Transportation Enhancement (TE) Planning Program to Portage County to undertake long-range planning related to non-vehicular travel (i.e. bicycle and pedestrian activity). The scope of work for the project is quite extensive, including:
- an analysis of existing policies and practices regarding bicycle and pedestrian facilities;
- an inventory and analysis of these facilities;
- public participation to understand how people currently use, and might like to use these facilities;
- recommendations for how a logical, useful network of facilities might evolve;
- creation of basic design guidelines for how facilities should be constructed to make for a uniform future network;
- identification of policies to assist in moving bicycle/pedestrian awareness and accommodation forward.
Also included in the facility analysis is a review of school access to be used in future Safe Routes to School planning.